A legislator in New Jersey's 12th District, covering parts of Monmouth and Mercer Counties

Wednesday, March 01, 2006

Appearing on Newsmakers

Comcast Newsmakers asked me to stop by this morning to film two segments for their program. Since I became an Assemblyman, I have worked with them about once every other month, and it's always an interesting experience.

Today I talked with the host, Jill Horner, about two topics: Abbott school districts, and Fort Monmouth. If you've been following the news on the Fort, you probably know that I introduced a bill last week that will put together the group that will decide the future of the property. The military installation is in the process of closing. Thanks to the help of local officials, other legislators, and a number of other stakeholders, I was able to draft something that seems like the best possible consensus. There will be representatives from all levels of government, and also some experts on employee relations/training, and environmental issues. The most important provision, I think, is the one that will prevent any level of government from acting unilaterally.

I'm doing a lot of research on the Abbott school district situation right now. For anyone who isn't familiar with that term, Abbott school districts are among the poorest in the state, and they are funded (largely with state funds) to the level of the wealthiest districts in New Jersey. Although it is important to make sure these districts are able to satisfy their needs, the current funding formula is putitng a major strain on taxpayers across the state. Through my research, I am looking to find a solution to this problem. I would love to hear your input.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home